Heylo!!
Yes, I should be revising, but i'm hoping writing this will get me into doing some work. Yeh... ;)
So i'm gunna write about twilight. 4 books, writen by Stephenie Mayer, that are massive in America and pretty massive in the UK too. I'm asuming most of you at least know what they're about, so i'm gunna skip that.
I love the books, despite many things that I don't like. Its very strange. I could write an equal amount here about why I love them and what I don't like.
Shall we take the don't likes first? OK
Bella, as a character, is slightly weak. Shes has enough personality to have a story, but its in no way as developed as the others. Also, sometimes her constant going on about how shes not good enough for Edward gets annoying. Get some confidence girl, although it fits well to the plot. The amount of description of Edward in the first book in particular is over blown to the point of nausea. Its over done, and would have worked better without so much emphasis. This is compared to having read Midnight Sun (same book, Edwards perspective) where he has alot more complex character but puts the same point across. That said, she wrote Midnight Sun after Twilight and its highly possible that her writing improved.
Breaking Dawn's plot is also weird. The whole preganancy thing and the imprinting thing were just a bit insane. It makes for a good story, but its just really weird. In particular the last part of Breaking Dawn feels like a tag on plot device rather than a nessesity. In general you don't get scared about whats going to happen.
Personally, I don't like the whole warewolf and the character of Jacob thing. I mean, it works in the story but its just not interesting enough for me.
She uses dreams too much in her books, and mostly they're kinda just meaningless deviations from the point.
Good parts:
Firstly, the concept is a really good one for a story. Human girl falls in love with vampires whos after her blood. It sounds good in just one sentance.
Secondly I love Edward. Its just a girly, men in books thing. Hes so much better than any real men. He really cares and is sincere about his emotions, even if he is stupidly overprotective. Also, i'm in love with Robert Pattinson, like properly!
I love the emotions in the books. From the intense love they both have, to the absolute pain in New Moon they're written really well. She doesn't do very well on the scared emotion though, but hey, thats nothing.
I like the kind of slight eroticness of the books. Its not even explicit, but even when they're kissing theres this build up of massive sexual tension that I find interesting, cuz i'm weird like that hhaa. I find that part quite real. Tension is good.
I like the smaller characters in the book. I think Charlie is cool, and I love all the Cullens and their different personalties. I think the personalities of the warewolves are OK too. The characters arn't static, and they change, as well as more information coming out about them as you read. I like that.
Opinions anyone? :D The loves have alot more weight than the hate, and thats why I like them. A second reading has make me look at them all in a more objective way. The first time you read them is so intense that you kinda forget to concentrate on anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment